Herstmonceux Parish Council - Full Council (FCL)
HERSTMONCEUX PARISH COUNCIL
Herstmonceux Parish Full Council Meeting
Monday 21st November 2016, 7.30 p.m.
Small Hall, Herstmonceux Village Hall
Cllrs in attendance: Jenny Alder; Jo Angear; Angela Ashley; Malcolm Bradshaw; Mick Goodsell; Heather Kenward; Bryan Naish; Stephen Nash (VCh); Ian Stewart (Chair); Catherine Stirling- Reed; Max von Barnholt Krag; ESCC Cllrs Bentley and
Clerk in attendance – Clare Harrison
RFO in attendance - Simon Goacher
Members of the Public – Two
B Gower [former
Item Number Minute Items Action
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE - 16.11.130
No apologies had been received.
All Councillors were in attendance.
2. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FULL COUNCIL MEETING - 16.11.131
i. Minutes for approval meeting date 17.10.16
Minutes of FCL meeting 17.10.16 were agreed as a true and accurate
by all. Minutes Approved.
ii. Any outstanding actions
There were no outstanding actions
3. DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS - 16.11.132
i. Cllr Goodsell declared his regular interests in matters of
private contract works on trees / hedgerow cutting and other
general maintenance issues / works needed.
ii. Cllr Stewart declared his interest in any Village Hall matters.
4. MEMBERS DISPENSATION REQUESTS - 16.11.133
i. No new dispensation requests received
ii. Standing dispensation request for Cllr Goodsell re WD/2016/1977/O (not on this agenda)
5. PUBLIC QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS RELATING TO ITEMS ON AGENDA - 16.11.134
The members of the public were invited to speak. One member of the
public declined the offer, one accepted.
Standing Orders were suspended at 19.33
The clerk had been given copies of publications of the history of the
Old Steam House plus a copy of a report, entitled The Old Steam House, project ref 1146, for reference and interest.
(These were not seen or circulated to the members present)
The council were informed of historical connections of the Old Steam
House and issues that were presenting currently with renovation works and the need for the Lime Park Heritage Trust to raise
awareness of the work being undertaken and fundraise.
Council responded that any support given by Council needed to ensure
it offered proper representation for all the parish. The member of the public assured the Council that the Trust were not
requesting funds from the Council but were asking for their support
with promotion / representation of the Trust.
The Chair was reminded that Lime Park was on the Agenda at item
number 12. However, the Council upheld the discussion and concluded their response at this Agenda.
(This is not
accurate and this was not mentioned at the time)
A query was raised by The Chair as to who had legal ownership of the land that the building stood
on as it was understood by the Council that the Lime Park Heritage
Trust were not the legal owners and not shown as such in Land Registry.
of the public explained that a Trust situation had been in
existence sine around 1994/5 and that the Land Registry knew of
the Trust but that there was no need to register that information
with the Land Registry. The Chairman also mentioned about the
Museum not being a member of any organisation.)
In summary, the Council and the member of the Public differed in views of whether the LPHT owned the land or not and therefore the
Council could make no recommendation to extend discussions to support promotion of the Lime Park Heritage Trust at this moment in
was no effort to secure any confirmation of the situation from the
Trust, it appeared that a decision had been made to avoid the
subject, where the Chairman had mentioned about the history of
litigation - though this has nothing to do with the fact that the
building is a historic asset)
The member of the public was thanked for their contribution.
- Standing Orders resumed at 7.36pm
6. FINANCIAL OFFICERS REPORT AND PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS - 16.11.135
Payments and receipts Nov 2016 - Councillor Angear joined the meeting at 7.40pm
Payments were presented as overleaf.
A query was raised regarding the first item, Admin: Hire of Room -
Cheque 102139 issued 15/08/2016 - £15. The RFO explained that this
had been a lost cheque and therefore had needed to be re-issued.
Two months’ timesheet for the NHP clerk had been received totalling
41.25 hours. All were in favour of the payment.
Cllr Kenward proposed acceptance for all payments and receipts. This
was seconded by Cllr Bradshaw. All in favour. All presented payments Approved.
Herstmonceux Parish Council
Meeting: 21 November 2016 Agenda Item: 06 - Payments of Account
Payment of Accounts - The following Accounts are submitted for payment approval:
You can see from these accounts for the year to November 2016 that
the members of the council are monetarily rewarded for their time,
as is the clerk to the council. That being the case R v Bowden
Simon P. Goacher - Responsible Finance Officer 07 November 2016
7. FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE MINUTES – 16.11.136
i. Minutes for approval meeting date 01/11/16
Minutes of FGP meeting 01.11.16 were agreed as a true and accurate
by all. Minutes Approved.
ii. Any Recommendations for Full Council ratification
Recommendation for donation for Defibrillator Training Approved.
Recommendation for consultation with residents of Stunts Green for
Council adoption of BT Telephone Box at Stunts Green Approved.
Recommendation for consultation with residents of Windmill Hill for
Council adoption of BT Telephone Box at Windmill Hill Approved.
Recommendation not to award CPRE a donation was challenged and requested to be Deferred back to the next FGP(Com) agenda.
iii. Confidential Minutes for approval: Pers-Sub(Com) meeting
dates 01/11/16; 07/11/15; 15/11/16; Minutes of the Pers-Sub(Com) meeting dates 01/11/16; 07/11/15 and
15/11/16 were of a personal nature and could not be discussed in
public. However, all Council members had received a copy. Minutes were accepted as a true and accurate by members of the PER(Sub-Com). Minutes Approved.
i. Any Recommendations for Full Council ratification
Minutes of the Pers-Sub(Com) meeting dates 01/11/16; 07/11/15 and 15/11/16 were of a personal nature and could not be discussed in
public. However, all Council members had received a copy and there
were no objections to recommendations that had been made.
ii. Interim audit report 2016/17
Interim audit circulated, acknowledged by all.
Clerk to liaise with RFO and Standing Order WG to set a meeting date
for the review of the Financial Regulations. The RFO reminded all Councillors that all outstanding estimates are
needing to be submitted. The RFO notified all Councillors of the delay to the tender process due
to Council awaiting confirmation from ESCC of map tender areas still
Clerk and Cllrs to instigate consultation RFO for FGP agenda Clerk and
8. AMENITIES COMMITTEE MINUTES – 16.11.137
i. Minutes for approval – there were no outstanding minutes for approval.
ii. Any Recommendations for Full Council ratification – there were no new recommendations for approval.
iii. O/s recommendation approval from AME meeting 26.09.16 Recommendation for
Dog Poo spray campaign re-instatement was
Recommendation to apply for a TPO for a tree in Cowbeech was Deferred back to the next AME(Com) agenda due to additional information being obtained by Cllr Goodsell for consideration.
Standing Orders suspended at 8.05 to allow the second member of the public to speak.
It was reported that the ESCC Highways cutting of Lower Road verges
had still not been undertaken. This had now been taken care of by local Landowners.
The RFO informed all present of the meeting between HMX PC and ESCC Highways representatives later this week, Friday 23rd November.
The meeting focus was the tendering and contracts of cutting of verges and hedges.
Standing Orders were resumed at 8.10pm.
Cllr Nash to action
9. PLANNING COMMITTEE MINUTES – 16.11.138
i. Minutes for approval meeting date 15/11/16
Minutes of PLN(Com) meeting 15.11.16 were agreed as a true and accurate by all. Minutes Approved.
ii. Any Recommendations for Full Council ratification
Letter in response to Southern Water delays to scheme building
process was letter Approved for sending.
10. TO ACCEPT MINUTES AND / OR REPORTS FROM THE FOLLOWING: - 16.11.139
i. Communications Working Group - Verbal updates from the COM(WG) were acknowledged and accepted.
ii. Cuckmere Bus
- Meeting notes acknowledged and accepted.
iii. Herstmonceux Village Hall - Meeting notes acknowledged and accepted.
iv. Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group - Meeting notes from the NHP Steering Group were acknowledged and
11. EMERGENCY PLAN - 16.11.140
Cllr Ashley updated the Council with the findings of her review of the
Emergency Plan. It was concluded that key questions arise from the
current format of the plan which are:
What constitutes an emergency?
Who activates the emergency plan?
RFO to liaise to initiate meeting
What triggers the process?
Cllr Ashley Recommended that the plan needed updating to a workable format, simplifying the layout, in order that the questions
above can be answered and the correct response delivered efficiently
and effectively. It was also Recommended that, although all Councillors were members of the Emergency Plan Working Party that
an initial meeting be called for Cllrs AA, CSR, SN, The Clerk and the
RFO to meet with John Wood the ESCC Emergency Planning Officer to enable them to
begin to undertake this work. It was Agreed that the updating work to the Emergency Plan would
start early in Jan 2017 and be ready for full council presentation by the
end of March 2017.
Recommendations Approved by all.
12. LIME PARK - 16.11.141
No further discussions were had at this point of the agenda. Please see Agenda Item 5 for full discussion detail.
The Chair additionally commented that there had also been no developments on the
Lime Cross site as the developers had not been
13. SMART ENERGY IN COMMUNITIES - 16.11.142
It was proposed that the Council support the promotion of the upcoming exhibition of the governments Smart Energy GB in Communities campaign.
Approved by all. Cllr Kenward to promote in PC Parish Mag bulletin.
14. ACTION POINTS - 16.11.143
i. Update on Variation on the Lease – approval of Kent CC
Proposed actions Agreed by all. Clerk to notify Kent CC in order to
process the work.
ii. Finger Post - The Finger Post is now back in situ.
iii. Grit Bin at Windmill Hill - The Grit Bin is now in situ.
iv. De Fib Training
Bookings have been received. Places still available for both sessions.
v. Village CCTV
Village CCTV was installed in the past as a temporary measure to deter
a local bout of crime. The initiative was successful and the camera use
removed after a short period. The project was a joint one with Sussex
Police who hold the cameras and offer the Parish access to one should
they need it. Any revised use and monitoring of CCTV would have to
be authorised and arranged with Sussex Police.
vi. Cricket Club request for recommendation letter Response letter Approved.
vii. Establishing relationships with neighbouring PCs. Meeting dates have been received. Chair, Vice Chair , Cllrs HK, JAN, JAL and CSR are interested in attending. Clerk to circulate meeting dates.
viii. Business sought by local charity
Information to be promoted in the next PC newsletter. Clerk to forward
Clerk to collate and send Cllr Kenward
15. BT CONSULTATION FOR PHONE BOX REMOVAL OR ADOPTION - 16.11.144
This item was discussed and agreed at Agenda item 7
16. CORRESPONDENCE – FOR NOTING OR ACTION - 16.11.145
Contents of circulation envelope circulated to all Councillors
ESCC Councillors Reports
Cllr BB informed the Council of:
ESCC discussions of the possibility of creating Wild Flower Verges
ESX as a White Ribbon area renewal of funding for further 2yrs
WDC now accredited as White Ribbon district
His visit to the Sussex Police Resolution Centre to observe this
project in its pilot as an alternative to the PCSO. Cllr BB will continue to monitor its development.
Raise awareness of the Sussex Police Commissioner
consultation of proposal to increase precept by £5 In answer to PC Cllr queries Cllr BB responded that:
Due consideration of Cowbeech Bonfire Society Correspondence was being discussed
Funding for Charles Hunt Centre in Hailsham was a matter for Age Concern as they were the managing body.
The Waste and Mineral Plan report is now published
Recommendations for the Electoral Arrangements are now published and being submitted to the House of Commons for
approval. Cllr Keeley updates included:
Attendance of Older People Matters attendance
Various other activities
A document Cllr Keeley has produced, available via website, for information on his research and concluding thoughts.
Refer to AME(Com)
17. ITEMS FOR REFERRAL TO NEXT AGENDA OR APPROPRIATE COMMITTEE - 16.11.146
As per Agenda items
Street Lighting planning and estimates – referred to FGP
Village Planters – referred to FGP
The meeting closed at 9.10pm
Date of Next Full Council Meeting: Monday 12th December, 2016 - Small Hall, Herstmonceux Village Hall